Welcome to BASIS Washington, D.C., home of the Red Giants!
Our tuition-free, public charter school serves students in grades 5–12. We are proud to be part of the BASIS Charter Schools network which has been providing world-class education since 1998. Our campuses follow a STEM-infused, liberal arts program designed to propel your student farther than they ever thought possible.
Everyone at the Washington, D.C. campus is here to cultivate a love of learning, natural curiosity, and the desire to excel in your student. Their success is our success.
U.S. News & World Report: 2022 Best U.S. High School Rankings
- #68 in Charter High Schools
- #274 in National Rankings
Please reserve your place by registering for any upcoming tour/event.
Subscribe to Learn More
Head of School
Alex has been a DC resident since 2007 and has been with BASIS DC since 2014. He fell in love with teaching while working on his undergraduate Psychology degree as a therapist for profoundly autistic children in the DC area. Originally from California, he has taught middle school and AP Physics, acted as a high school dean, Director of Student Interventions, Director of Student Affairs, and as a Director of Academic Programs before taking on the role of Head of School.
- MA, Psychology and Neuroscience, American University
- MA, Teaching, American University
Head of Operations
Rhonda had an extensive career in Operations and Facilities Management prior to going into education. She taught for three years before joining BASIS DC in 2018 as the English 8 and Honors English 10 Subject Expert Teacher. She transitioned into the Head of Operations in 2020.
- MA, Teaching, The University of the District of Columbia
- BS, Business Administration, Bennett College
Director of Academic Programs
Originally from Northern Virginia, Isabel taught Government, U.S. History, and World History before joining BASIS DC as the Dean for grades 8–12. Her favorite part of working at BASIS DC is the students and seeing their excitement about coming to school each day.
- BA, History/Teaching, Elon University
Director of Planning and Instruction
Trisha has lived in DC and served as an educator since graduating college in 2013. She joined BASIS Charter Schools in 2017 as a Spanish teacher and supported her colleagues as an Instructional Coach before becoming the Director of Planning and Instruction.
- MS, Education (Concentration: Educational Studies/Secondary Education), Johns Hopkins University
- BA, Political Science and Communication (Concentration: Public Service), Minor in Hispanic Studies, University of Pennsylvania
Director of Student Affairs
Born and raised in Washington DC, Calvery has remained in the district where she has been in education for over 12 years. She started her career with Ameri-corps and went on to teach both early childhood education and middle school. Calvery has been with BASIS DC since 2013 in both teaching and administrative positions.
- MA, Literature, Language, and the Humanities, Marymount University - Arlington, VA
- BA, English, Saint Augustine's College - Raleigh, NC
Director of Student Support Services
Josh has worked in Special Education and Student Support Services since 2015. A DMV native, Josh joined BASIS DC in 2018 and has served as a teacher, 504/ELL Coordinator, Student Support Coordinator, and Director of Student Support Services.
- MA, Teaching, Relay Graduate School of Education
- BA, Political Science, George Washington University
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), Arizona State University