Before enrolling your child in a new school, it’s important to do your research. Looking up information about schools near you is a good place to start, but when it comes to getting a full picture of what a school is like, nothing beats an in-person visit.
At BASIS Charter Schools, we proudly offer tours to prospective families. During these tours, we deliver all the information that families need to make an informed decision for their child.
Signing up for a tour is easy! Simply visit our Events page, select the tour you’re interested in, and RSVP via Eventbrite.
Here’s everything you need to know to prepare for a tour at a BASIS Charter School campus.
Benefits of going on a school tour
Going on a school tour is a great way to learn about potential schools for your child. Some of the main reasons to tour a school include:
- Seeing classrooms in action: School tours often give you a chance to observe a classroom, allowing you to see what your child’s day-to-day learning environment will look like.
- Having the opportunity to ask questions: Asking questions can be incredibly valuable as you consider different schools for your child. A school tour is the perfect time to ask your questions and get immediate answers!
- Meeting teachers and staff: Before you send your child off to a new school, you want to make sure that they’ll be in good hands. Going on a school tour is a great way to meet school leadership, faculty, and staff.
- Getting familiar with the campus: During a school tour, a staff member will show you around different parts of the campus. This gives you a chance to assess the cleanliness and safety of the school. Plus, touring a school helps you and your child become familiar with the layout of the campus, which can ease some first-day-of-school stress.
- Learning about the school’s values: During a school tour, a staff member will speak to you about the history and mission of BASIS Charter Schools. Plus, you’ll learn about the individual school’s culture and community.
What to expect from your BASIS Charter School tour
On a school tour, you’ll learn about who we are, what makes our curriculum unique, and why we excel at teaching K–12 students.
Our tours are led by experienced school administrators who know our schools inside and out. After some introductions and an overview of what BASIS Charter Schools are, you’ll set off on your walk-through tour of the campus.
During the tour, you can expect a brief look inside some of the classrooms. You’ll also be shown areas such as the multi-purpose room, playground, and art room. Along the way, your tour guide will provide detailed information about the BASIS Charter School Curriculum, school culture, extracurricular activities, and more. There is plenty of time to ask questions—both during the tour and at the end!
Our tours are approximately 45–60 minutes long. We ask that you arrive 15 minutes before your tour is scheduled to start so that you have plenty of time to check in at the front desk and get a visitor’s badge. For security purposes, we require all adult attendees to present photo identification when checking in.
How to prepare for your school tour
Excited about your upcoming school tour? We get it; we’re excited to see you, too! Here are a few things you can do to make sure you get the most out of the experience.
Research the school
First and foremost, we recommend doing a bit of research on the school you’ll be visiting. Here are a few pages on our website that will help you learn more about our high-performing schools:
Of course, you’ll learn more about these topics during your school tour—but getting a head start doesn’t hurt!
Make a list of questions
Take some time to jot down any questions you may have about the school you’re touring. Whether it’s general questions about BASIS Charter Schools’ teaching philosophy or specific questions geared towards your child’s needs, a school tour is a great time to get answers!
Some example questions include:
- What is your average class size and student-to-teacher ratio?
- Do you offer any before- or after-school programs?
- What types of extracurricular activities are available?
- How are fine arts incorporated into your curriculum?
- What kind of student support do you provide?
- What is the enrollment process like?
Don’t forget to bring your list of questions with you on your tour. This will ensure you don’t forget anything you were meaning to ask!
Get ready to take notes
There’s a lot to take in during a school tour! Whether you prefer to use your phone or a notepad and pen, be sure to bring something with you that you can use for notetaking. During the tour, write down any key details, as well as your general impression of the school.
Involve your child in the tour process
If possible, we recommend bringing your child along for your school tour. This is a great way for your child to become familiar with the campus and meet teachers and staff. Your child’s impression of the school may also play a large role in your decision-making process.
Mark your calendar
Set a reminder for your tour date and make sure you have a plan for getting to the school on time. Aim to arrive 15 minutes before the tour’s scheduled start time, so you have time to check in.
Take the next step—sign up for a school tour!
What are you waiting for? If you haven’t already, sign up for a school tour today by visiting our Events page and registering for a tour at your local BASIS Charter School campus.
We hope to see you on a tour soon!
- BASIS Scottsdale Unveils the Curley Family Fieldhouse, Thanks to a Donation From Two Local Physicians - December 1, 2023
- BASIS Baton Rouge Materra Receives “A” Rating From Louisiana Department of Education - November 20, 2023
- Congratulations to Family Favorites Winner BASIS Baton Rouge Materra - November 1, 2023